Home Stay Register

Box Hill Senior Secondary College maintains a Home Stay register to place International students enrolled at our college and other students who might otherwise have to travel long distances to attend our school.

Home stay parents play an important role in providing support, stability and a nurturing home environment during an international student’s stay in Australia. Normally the home stay accommodation is for the duration of the students enrolment. The home stay experience is an excellent way for a student to improve their English, learn more about Australian culture and make the most of their international education experience. It is essential that the home stay accommodation arranged by the school is of high quality and provides a safe, comfortable and caring environment.

Home stay is full board accommodation offered by a family, couple or single person for which a set, weekly fee is charged. This fee, paid by the student, covers expenses associated with hosting an international student. The preferred home stay arrangement is where one international student resides with a local family in the family home, but two students at one home stay is acceptable where all quality standards are met, where the students are compatible and are preferably not from the same language background.

Home stay host families must reside in the same residence as the students. The only exception is where the host owns a secure self-contained bungalow on their property. Home stay services include provision of: 

  • A single bedroom for the student’s exclusive use
  • Three meals a day, seven days a week
  • Facilities including: a bed, wardrobe, towels and linen
  • Gas, electricity, heating and water costs
  • Cleaning services of common living areas
  • Use of living areas within the residence
  • Study facilities, including internet access, a desk, study light and bookcase

Expressions of Interest
If any member of the local community would like to consider becoming a home stay provider, or alternatively they know someone who may be interested in doing so, then please contact the college on 9890 0571. The International Student team will then provide more details on what is required to be registered as a home stay provider.