Years 11 & 12
Selecting a Year 11&12 Learning Program
At Box Hill Senior students may select from the following programs:
- At Box Hill Senior Secondary College, the VCE is three-years and is made up of a minimum of 16 units.
- A student program must include English, EAL or Literature Units 1, 2, 3 and 4 (see details of English group requirements below)
Year 11 Program
Year 11 students are expected to complete a minimum of six VCE Units each semester. A normal Year 11 program will include:
- An English Group subject Units 1 and 2 (Compulsory)
- Five other Units 1 and 2 studies
Completing a Unit 3 and 4 sequence at year 11?
In most cases students will only be permitted to enrol in a Unit 3 and 4 sequence in Year 11 if they have previously completed Unit 1 and 2 of that study and displayed a strong commitment to that subject.
Year 12 Program
Year 12 students are expected to complete a minimum of five VCE studies at year 12. A normal Year 12 program will include:
- English Group subject Units 3 and 4 (Compulsory)
- Four other Units 3 and 4 studies
Variations to VCE programs
If a student wishes to vary the above program requirements the following criteria will be considered:
- If the student is completing a one day a week structured work place learning throughout the year;
- Circumstances in the student’s personal life that require special consideration.
Any variations to a program must be carefully planned and take in to account what the student wants to do upon leaving school.
Three Units of English are required for satisfactory completion and can be selected from:
Students cannot count more than two Units at Unit 1 and 2 level towards the compulsory English requirement. A pass in both Units 3 and 4 in one of the approved English group subjects is a prerequisite if you wish to apply for an ATAR.
The College offers limited places in the Senior (Year 12) and Intermediate (Year11) Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
VCE VET Programs
- VCE VET programs are approved by the Victorian Curriculum & Assessment Authority and allow secondary students to complete the VCE and a nationally recognised industry Certificate at the same time.
- VCE VET units have equal status with other VCE units.
- VCE VET programs are fully recognised within the unit 1 – 4 structure of the VCE and therefore may contribute towards satisfactory completion of the VCE and, in some cases, the ATAR.
- Students enrolled in these programs will complete a combination of VCE units and VCE VET units.
VET or Further Education - Block Credit
Students who undertake Vocational Education and Training (VET) or Further Education (FE) qualifications that are not included in the suite of approved VCE VET programs and School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships may be eligible for credit towards their VCE. This credit is called Block Credit Recognition. Further information is available at http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vet/general/recognition/vcerecognition.aspx