The BHSSC Tennis Academy enables gifted athletes to combine their goals in tennis with a comprehensive and stimulating education.
All tennis related activities are timetabled during a student's normal school day.
Senior Students (Years 10 to 12) complete either a full time (replaces two subjects/electives) or part time (replaces one subject/electives) tennis program at the college. Students in years 10 to 12 who are accepted into the full senior tennis program can choose to manage their workload by completing their VCE over three years.
Student courses can be tailored for US College scholarship eligibility and many past graduates have been successful in obtaining scholarships to US Colleges.
Recent BHSSC graduates who have been successful in obtaining a tennis scholarship to a USA college include:-
- Jasmin Starr (2018) University of Texas, San Antonia
- Gussie O'Sullivan (2012 ) Arizona State University
- Julian Csezko 2011) Alabama State University
- Lachlan Puyol (2010) Bellhaven University
- Alexander Puyol (2010) Bellhaven University
- Miranda Poile (2011) University of Texas, Austin Campus
Further detailed information on USA College eligibility is available from the USA consulate and by clicking on the following link.
Education USA : NCAA helpful resources and websites
Students in the program participate in the following:
- Drill sessions which concentrate on skills and technique development with a 1:4 student/coach ratio and a 1:2 ratio for some sessions
- Squad training which focuses on match play and game styles
- Fitness, weight training and recovery which concentrates on strength conditioning, fitness and agility
- Activities off court that encourage team building, social skills and initiative
- Fitness tests which are completed at the beginning and end of each year
- A physiotherapy screening and monitoring process.
All sessions are conducted by qualified Tennis Australia coaches or strength and conditioning coaches as appointed.
The Tennis teams play in the School Sport Victoria (SSV) and the Tennis Australia Teams events when applicable.
Students are encouraged to play in a variety of local, State, National and International tournaments.
In 2019, Vida Tennis P/L has been appointed to oversee the Tennis Academy at Box Hill Senior Secondary College. Vida Tennis is a progressive coaching team offering a holistic approach in a fun, learning environment. Founded in 1998, the vision is simple; to create life opportunities for each individual through the sport of tennis. Whether your goal is the world stage or personal best, Vida creates pathways and programs tailored for the individual.
Over the past years, more than 25 players from Vida programs have won a National title. Additionally, numerous players have gained student-athlete scholarships to US colleges. The last two winners of the TCAV Coach of the Year have been Vida coaches both of whom will be directing this program.
Director of Tennis
- Graduate of University of Tulsa, USA and Edith Cowen University
- Player Development Coach for Tennis Australia in the Northern Territory
- Strength and conditioning coach for high performance tennis players in Darwin
- Competed on the professional WTA circuit for a number of years
- Extensive coaching experience in a wide range of settings
Jo is on-site each day at the College and manages the on-court coaching programs, as well as supporting players with their nutrition, strength and conditioning, goal setting and personal development.
Paul is the only Platinum Talent Development coach in Victoria and has worked with numerous players who have won National titles. Paul is a lead facilitator for Tennis Australia in on-court coach development and was 2018 TCAV coach of the year.
Paul's role in the program is to ensure the technical development of the athletes through the use of video analysis and linking this with the on-court program.
Ignacio is the current peformance at MCC Glen Iris Valley where he works with players who are playing Australian ranking events as well as those with ATP and WTA rankings.
Kane is the program manager for the academy and combines his on-court knowledge with his planning skills to help structure and guide the program. A former Talent Development coach, Kane is a Master Club Professional and industry leader.